One of our Scouts suggested this as a camping event, but due to other constraints we’ve converted this to a single day “there and back” trip.
- When: Saturday, April 22, 2017
- Arrive at Spruce School at 11:30 AM
- Depart for Milan, Ohio at 11:45 AM
- Return in late afternoon (4 or 5PM, depending on weather and length of hike)
- Fee is only $5
- Scouts should eat an early lunch at home prior to leaving for the trip, and pack an afternoon snack for the hike. Be sure to bring a water bottle.
Thomas Edison was born in nearby Milan, Ohio, and we will be visiting the Thomas A. Edison Birthplace Museum where we will have a guided tour and learn more about this fascinating man.
After the tour we will drive a short distance to Edison Woods, part of the Erie County Metropark system. From the Metropark web site:
With approximately 1300 acres of sandstone cliffs, wetlands, woodlands, and meadows, Edison Woods is home to a variety of seasonal wild flowers, rare plants amphibians and reptiles. Edison Woods MetroPark includes approximately 550 acres of wetland habitats and 400 acres of restored native grasslands. Features include ~6 miles of wooded & prairie trails, the Adventure Walkway boardwalk and Geocaching.
We will be hiking the trails, and hope to meet the hiking requirement for our new Scouts. After the hike we will return to Spruce School.
Permission slips will be available at the next meeting.