The Council has listened to the feedback provided by Scouting units and COMPLETELY REVISED the popcorn funding mechanism. In a nutshell, the program is MUCH SIMPLER than in previous years. There will be more details forthcoming, but here are some highlights:
Only THREE ITEMS to sell
- Caramel Corn
- Microwave Butter (6-pack)
- Donation to Greater Cleveland Food Bank
Only ONE price point
- $10 for each product, period.
Larger Variety Online
- A larger lineup of products will be available for online sales.
- Scouts can have their own personal selling page at Trailsend.com
- Scouts will be credited with online sales through their page, with the Troop getting commission
No Order Forms
- The sale is all “show and sell,” which means we order the product up-front so the Scout has product to sell immediately.
- The customer hands you $10, you hand them the product.
Highest Commission in the Country
- Troops will now make 50% COMMISSION, which is the highest popcorn commission of any Council in the country.
- $5 from every $10 item sold will be returned to the troop.
- In the past, popcorn was a 33% commission to the troop.
Simple is good…
NOW IS THE PERFECT TIME TO STEP UP AND GET INVOLVED
We need a new “Popcorn Kernel” to manage this program (which is really not very difficult). I have been the Kernel for many years, but Noah is turning 18 in October and another parent must take over this task. I still plan on being involved in the Troop, but I need to step back from popcorn. WE NEED YOU! I am more than happy to assist and advise, so you won’t be without support. This is Scouting after all, and as Mr. Campbell says, “we always have our wingman.”
~~ Mr. Furin