Dear Scouts and Scout Families,
As it snows on the first day of what was going to be our Big Naval Shipyard camp out, I want to apologize for not contacting you sooner. Every day I would say, “I know this will be over soon and we can just start right back up.” Well after a month, it appears this will be the new normal, at least for a while. So I thought I would give an update to events for scouting. As we surmised, the spring break camp out was cancelled (I am there in my mind). I can safely say the May and June will also be cancelled.
As for Summer Camp, the deadline for deposits from Camp Freedom have been pushed back twice until May 1st. As it gets closer to that date, we will have a better picture as to what is going on. We are holding all deposits locally so if it gets cancelled, our Troop has the deposit and will not have to mess with trying to get a refund from the camp. I called Phil (the camp director from Camp Beaumont) this week to try to get a feel for what is going on. He says they are waiting from guidance from National as to what is the final outcome. They are still planning for Summer Camp with many changes and also planning on what to do if no summer camp. Hopefully we will have an better answer by the end of the month.
While everyone is home, it would be a great time for advancements in your scout book. I am setting up the app Zoom for Scoutmaster Conferences. Remember anytime someone texts the scoutmaster or an assistant scoutmaster, make sure you also send it to one of your parents phone numbers. We ALWAYS want to stay 2 deep on communication. I have two scouts already for a scoutmaster conference. Your parents can sign off on requirements during the at stay home orders. Remember you will have to demonstrate the skill on the Scoutmaster conference.
I hope every is safe and warm and we will all get through this. I am forwarding many Regional Scout Events to the Facebook page. Take a look at the Troop Facebook Page.
Yours in Scouting,